Nothing is impossible if we put our mind to it and take support of the right strategies to achieve it. Learning something new can feel intimidating at first, leaving you confused about where to begin, how to begin, etc. That’s when we need to apply strategies to overcome the doubts, confusion to learn efficiently.
By using these strategies while learning a new skill, one can avoid wasting time on useless or least important parts and eliminate the mistakes that others make while learning. Remember that what someone can master in weeks, you could take a month to reach that level, and there is nothing wrong with that. We all move at our pace. What is important is to put faith in yourself and be consistent. With the help of the strategies stated below, the task of learning a new skill will become fun and easy.
Five strategies to learn a new skill
Pareto principle is named after the 19th-century Italian economists Vilfredo Pareto. He discovered that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. 80-20 rule is simple; the 20% is directly related to the 80%. In terms of learning new skills, one should identify what 20% they need to master first, which will eventually help them to master the rest of the 80%.
Never underestimate the power of visualization while learning a new skill. Visualization works just as affirmations. For instance, you are planning to learn guitar. You should visualize holding the guitar, playing a certain song, or a show you wish to play at. This will help you mentally a lot.
Mimic and Practice
When you are learning a new skill, try to find someone to mimic their skills. In any profession, some people are good at what they do. Observe them and put that observation into practice. You will learn faster by mimicking whether it’s a way your favorite setter throws the ball on the volleyball court or how your managers tackle the issues.
As much as the idea of learning a new skill quicker appeals to us, we must not stress ourselves while doing so. Always take breaks in between instead of repeating the same thing for hours. Breaks are important for your brain to absorb and process information.
We live in a world of the internet where information about anything is available to consume at our fingertips. Too much information will only fog up your brain, and you will end up learning nothing. Hence, learn in parts and breaks that will give your brain a chance to refresh itself.
The good old strategy of rewarding never goes out of style. Rewards are the best way of motivating someone. Set little goals for yourself and give yourself appraisal or some sort of treat when you accomplish them. Let your brain release all the endorphins and serotonin, and enjoy your success. Rewarding helps you to not drop skills in the middle and to be consistent at whatever skill you are learning, which is a key to becoming better.