You have never cooked broccoli before and want to know how best to do it? In this article, we have described how best to prepare this vegetable to preserve all the ingredients and vitamins it contains
Not everyone knows how to cook broccoli properly. This healthy vegetable is often chosen for its high vitamin and mineral content. It is also a great option for people on a diet – they are low in calories and contain a small amount of carbohydrates. In order to retain all the useful properties of broccoli, you need to prepare it properly.
To make the cooked vegetables not only tasty, but also healthy, it is strongly recommended to use fresh florets, not frozen. When it comes to taste, frozen is practically the same as fresh broccoli, but the amount of vitamins and valuable ingredients is definitely greater in the unprocessed vegetable
How to prepare steamed broccoli?
Do you fancy broccoli? This vegetable contains many vitamins and minerals that are very beneficial for the body. Moreover, it is a suitable option for people who want to maintain a healthy diet. Learn the secrets of cooking broccoli properly and enjoy its delicious taste.
If you want the prepared vegetables to retain the maximum amount of valuable nutrients, steam them. To do this, you do not need to have any special equipment at home. You can use a strainer and a saucepan, or a special tray if you use a multicooker
- Rinse the broccoli well in cold water.
- Pat the vegetable dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture
- Divide the broccoli into smaller florets
- Place them in a strainer or on top of a steamer or multicooker
- If cooking in a multicooker or steamer, set the timer for 10 minutes
- Cooking on the stove? Count down seven minutes from the time the water comes to a boil
- After the indicated time, check the softness of the broccoli by piercing it with a fork
- The vegetable is ready if the fork pierced it easily
Don’t want to steam broccoli? Try baking them in the oven!
Broccoli from the oven will also retain its properties. You can also enhance the dish with cream and cheese such as cheddar. Use the following proportions:
- broccoli – 500 g
- cream – 100 g
- cheese – 150 g
Broccoli is better to bake in a heatproof form for the oven. You can lightly grease them with sunflower oil or put them on baking paper
- Rinse the broccoli in a bowl or under running water
- Dry well and divide into smaller florets
- Put the broccoli in an ovenproof dish, add salt and season
- Mix the cream with the cheese and pour it over the broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200° C
- Roast the broccoli for about 15 minutes
- You can check the readiness of the vegetable as in the previous case, with a fork or knife.
Roasted broccoli is delicious and healthy. Thanks to the additives, the vegetable remains juicy and not dried out. Choose the recipe according to your taste!
Classic broccoli cooked in water
Boiling remains the most popular heat treatment for broccoli. Prepared this way, it can be treated as a stand-alone dish or as a base for a puree or soup
- Rinse the broccoli.
- Remember to divide it into smaller florets. Do not cook broccoli whole, otherwise the head will not cook well and will be tasteless
- Broccoli is usually cooked in salted water. Salt helps micronutrients to stay in the vegetable, moreover, thanks to it, the unpleasant bitterness disappears. Therefore, you should start cooking broccoli by adding salt to the water.
- Fill a large pot with water and wait for it to boil
- Salt the water and add the shredded broccoli florets to it
- It is very important not to overcook the vegetable.
- Cook the broccoli in the boiling water for 5 minutes
- Cook the frozen product for about 10 minutes